Monday, May 17, 2010

Out and about...

So most times while I'm out with the bunny I notice people staring and if I say I thought they all meant well, I would be lying. Most people have been great and just really curious. Today while at Whole foods a woman saw the bunny and I and said to me," bless you" I also ran into a woman that has been curious about the bunny before. She approached me a few months back and asked me if he was my baby. I told her he was and then she asked if he was mixed and of course I then disclosed that I had adopted him. She seemed pleased with that answer and also a little embarrassed to have asked the question. Today she bagged my groceries and just as I was about to leave she asked me some more about bunny's adoption. I guess she remembered us because it was like the conversation was continued from the months past. "So, about adoption, I was wondering if you were able to choose your baby? Did you ask for an ethnic baby specifically?" she then told me that her husband and herself had discussed this very topic this past weekend. I wondered if they wanted to adopt and so they discussed it or if it was about race, ethnicity and people like "us" adopting outside of our race. This woman happens to be black and so talking to her about race and adoption was especially intriguing to me. How does she feel about it? Anyways, I told her that we wanted a baby and we had no racial preference but that the right baby came to us. She smiled sweetly and we said our goodbyes.
Getting into my car and out of the rain, I thought further about that question. I wanted a redo
I wanted to tell her that we were chosen by his biological mother and how it was amazing and wonderful to be chosen and placed with the absolute perfect baby for us. I don't know why I wanted her to know that. I guess I'd just like the myths of adoption, our adoption to be cleared up.
Many people still have the mentality that we are some how "saving" these children of color from their biological families of doom and gloom or that we feel privileged, entitled and better than the mothers who have given birth to our children. I do not feel this way at all and it could not be further from the truth. My bunny's biological mother is so beautiful, loving and generous. She did not have to choose us, she did not have to give her baby up but she did. We love her and no one will ever be allowed to bad mouth the woman who changed our lives forever and allowed us to parent the most beautiful boy in the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment